When one is moving homes the sheer amount of tasks that need to be taken into account and properly prepared for may be a bit scary at first. What everyone with some experience in the field is going to tell you is that the key to success in any relocation is in prioritizing and planning. Some aspects of the job require more attention than others, and you should know exactly what and when you are to do. In this regard, packing is probably the most important item on your moving itinerary, and you might want to focus a chunk of your energy and resources into handling it.
Why is packing so important?
In short, there are three major benefits of packing your possessions the way they are supposed to be packed. First and foremost, it ensures their safety while on the road. Then again, your movers are going to know how to load the boxes on the transit vehicle if there are labeled, and if you have done a good job with the packing, it will all take up much less space on-board, which can considerably bring down the cost of the service. Last but not least, proper packing makes unloading at the new place much easier.
What you should do
A good packing routine takes up a lot of time, so it is one of the first things that you need to get going when you start preparing for your relocation. Do the following things and you are not going to make a mistake:
- Make sure that you have enough moving boxes and other materials that you are going to use to get the job done. It is recommended that you purchase at least 10% more than your estimated needs of every material. You will agree that it is always better to have a couple of boxes to spare than to realize that you are short on supplies, right?
- Do not be cheap – the quality of the boxes and wrapping is not something to be saving money on, because the integrity and safety of your items on the road depend on it. Buy only new, quality supplies to make sure that you have done the best you could.
- When you start packing, work a room at a time. Staying organized will not only help you do a better job, but it will keep the level of stress you are going through at a minimum level.
- Pay special attention to valuable and fragile items. Those might require a special technique for proper packing, or different boxes. If you are not sure what to do with your high-value objects, do not be ashamed to ask your moving company of choice for help.
- Make lists for all items you will be packing and all rooms, so that you can easily keep track of everything and rest assured that you are not forgetting something.
- Start packing at least a month to three weeks before your actual moving date.